(For powdered Silkworm Chow, Food)
CAUTION: Use at least a 1-½ liter microwave safe container for each 250 g of chow to avoid boiling over.
1) Add 250 g of silkworm chow to approximately 675 ml (proportion 1 : 2.7) of hot tap water and stir thoroughly by using a cooking mixer, until all traces of powder are mixed in.
2) Pour the mixture in the plastic container so that the layer to be around 1.5 – 2 cm.
3) Cover container with plastic cling wrap before cooking. Make small holes (about 10) on the plastic cling wrap by a needle.
4) Cook on 800 – 850 Watt for 8 – 10 minutes.
5) Remove from microwave and place the same sheet of plastic wrap over container and press down so that wrap directly contacts the surface of the hot chow. This will prevent excessive moisture from forming and help keep the chow sterile.
6) Allow to cool, put lid on the container, and store in the refrigerator.
7) Peel back plastic wrap, slice and serve when firm.
WARNING: Do not handle the cooked chow unless your hands have been thoroughly washed. Silkworms are very sensitive and susceptible to bacterial problems if their food is not kept sterile.
NOTE: The cooked chow will keep for a month or two in the refrigerator if kept airtight. The powder can be stored for up to 3 months if kept in a cool, dark place or up to a year in the refrigerator. Each 250 g makes approx. 1 kg when cooked.